REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
You will need an assistant to perform this procedure.
- Raise the hood to the full up position.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- If equipped, detach the underhood lamp connector from the engine compartment wire harness.
- Use a grease pencil or paint marker to outline the installed position of all of the bolts and hinges, for alignment during installation.
- Disconnect the windshield washer fluid hose from the hood.
- With an assistant supporting the hood, remove the top bolts holding the hood to the hinge, then loosen the bottom bolts until they can be removed by hand.
- With the hood still supported, remove the bottom bolts securing the hood to the hinge.
- Carefully remove the hood from the vehicle. If space does not permit flat storage of the hood, be sure to store it leaning straight up against a wall, with the front edge of the hood to the ground on a blanket to prevent scratches.
- With the help of an assistant, place the hood in position on the vehicle. Have the assistant hold the hood at the opposite side of the vehicle from which you are working, then install the bottom bolts finger-tight to hold the hood to the hinges.
- Install the top hood-to-hinge bolts finger-tight.
- Position the bolts at the marks made during removal, then tighten the bolts securely.
- Connect the windshield washer hose.
- Attach the connector to the underhood lamp, if equipped.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Check for proper hood operation and alignment.
See Figures 4 and 5
- The correct height is achieved by rotating the hood adjuster bumpers up or down. These bumpers are located on the radiator support member, in the front of the engine compartment.
- The correct side gap between the hood and fenders can be achieved by loosening the hood-to-hinge bolts. With the bolts loosened, the hood can be moved front-to-back or side-to-side.
- On Cirrus, Stratus, Sebring convertible and Breeze models, the hood should be aligned to a 0.160 inch (4mm) gap to the front fenders and flush across the top surfaces along the fenders.
- On Sebring coupe and Avenger models, rotate the small bumper until it measures 0.55 inch (14mm) fom the top of the radiator crossmember to the top of the bumper. Then, rotate the large bumper until it measures 0.67 inch (17mm) fom the top of the radiator crossmember to the top of the bumper.