When adding fluid, or making a complete fluid change, Cirrus, Stratus, Sebring convertible and Breeze models require only Mopar® Power Steering Fluid or equivalent; NEVER add automatic transmission fluid. However, Sebring and Avenger coupes require only MOPAR® ATF Plus type 7176 transmission fluid, ATF+3 automatic transmission fluid, or equivalent. Failure to use the proper fluid may cause hose and seal damage, and fluid leaks.
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Park the vehicle on a level surface with the engine at normal operating temperatures, then turn the engine OFF and remove the ignition key.
- Use a rag to clean all the dirt and oil residue from the power steering pump reservoir cap/dipstick.
- Remove the reservoir cap/dipstick and wipe off the fluid.
- Install the cap/dipstick, making sure it is properly seated.
- Unscrew the cap again, then check the fluid level while holding the cap above the tip of the dipstick. If the level is at or below the ADD mark on the dipstick, add fluid until the level reaches the FULL mark. Be careful not to overfill, as this will cause fluid loss and seal damage. A large loss in fluid volume may indicate a problem, which should be inspected and repaired at once.