REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 6
- Disconnect both battery cables, negative side first. Remove the battery, battery tray and, on the Sebring coupe and Avenger, the stay brace.
- Remove the air cleaner and intake hoses.
- Drain the transaxle into a suitable waste container.
- Remove the select and shift cables from the transaxle.
- Disconnect the back-up light switch harness and position it aside.
- Disengage the speedometer electrical harness from the transaxle assembly.
- Remove the starter motor.
- Using engine assembly support tool 7137 or C-4852, or equivalent, secure the engine assembly.
- Remove the rear roll stopper mounting bracket.
- Remove the transaxle mount bracket.
- Remove the upper transaxle mounting bolts.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the front wheel assemblies.
- Remove the undercover.
- Remove the halfshaft assemblies. Plug the halfshaft openings in the transaxle assembly to prevent foreign material from entering.
- On Sebring coupe and Avenger, remove the clutch release cylinder and, without disconnecting the hydraulic line, secure it to the chassis.
- Remove the cover from the transaxle bell housing.
- Remove the engine front roll stopper through-bolt.
- Remove the centermember.
- Support the transaxle, using a transaxle jack.
- Rotate the engine clockwise to gain access to the flexplate clutch bolts. Remove the flexplate clutch bolts.
- Remove the lower engine-to-transaxle mounting bolts.
- Slide the transaxle rearward and carefully lower it from the vehicle.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. Please note the following important steps.
The following items must be tightened to the specifications listed.
Tighten the transaxle-to-engine mounting bolts to 70 ft. lbs (95 Nm).
- Check to make sure that all fasteners are tightened and connections made.
- Make sure the vehicle is level, and refill the transaxle.
- Check the transaxle for proper operation. Make sure the reverse lights come on when the gear selector is in Reverse.