The 2.4L DOHC, 2.0L SOHC and DOHC 4-cylinder engines are equipped with distributorless ignition systems. Only the 2.5L SOHC V6 engine is equipped with a distributor.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 9
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. On Cirrus, Stratus and Sebring convertible models, disconnect the remote negative battery cable connection at the left strut tower.
If necessary for access, do the following:
- Remove the bolt attaching the air inlet resonator to the intake manifold.
- Loosen the clamps holding the air cleaner cover to the air cleaner housing.
- Remove the PCV make-up air hose from the air inlet tube.
- Loosen the hose clamp at the throttle body.
- Remove the air cleaner cover, resonator and inlet tube.
- Mark for identification, if necessary, and remove the spark plug wires from the distributor cap.
- Loosen the hold-down screws and remove the distributor cap.
- Mark the rotor position. A scribe mark indicates where to position the rotor when reinstalling. Remove the rotor.
- Install the rotor onto the distributor.
- Verify proper rotor alignment using the mark made at disassembly.
- Install the distributor cap.
- Connect the spark plug cables, following the identification marks made at disassembly.
If removed earlier, install the following:
- Install the EGR tube and tighten the mounting bolts to 95 inch lbs. (11 Nm).
- Install the air cleaner cover, resonator and inlet tube.
- Tighten the hose clamp at the throttle body.
- Install the PCV hose.
- Tighten the clamps holding the air cleaner cover to the air cleaner housing.
- Install the bolt attaching the air inlet resonator to the intake manifold.
- Reconnect the negative battery cable.
Inspect the distributor cap for cracks or burned electrodes. Inspect the rotor for cracks or a burned electrode. Replace if defective.