REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Cirrus, Stratus, Sebring Convertible and Breeze
See Figures 1 through 9
- Place the wheels in the straight ahead position.
- Disarm the air bag system, as described in Chassis Electrical .
The ground cable is equipped with an insulator grommet, which should be placed on the stud to prevent the negative battery cable from accidentally grounding.
- Remove the driver's air bag attaching bolts from the back of the steering wheel.
- Lift the air bag module. While holding the module, raise the secondary latch and unfasten the wiring connector.
Never use a metal tool to pry on the air bag wiring connector.
- Remove the air bag module and store it in a clean, dry place with the pad cover facing up. Do not place anything on top of the air bag module.
- Remove the speed control screws from the back of the steering wheel, lift out the pods and disconnect the wiring.
- Disconnect the horn wire from the air bag bracket. Remove the speed control wires from under the bracket.
- Remove the steering wheel retaining nut.
- Attach a suitable steering wheel puller tool. Using a wrench, tighten the puller's center bolt until the steering wheel is removed.
- Install the steering wheel onto the column.
- Install the steering wheel retaining nut and tighten to 45 ft. lbs. (61 Nm).
- Connect the horn wire and the speed control wires.
- Install the speed control pods and reattach the speed control unit to the steering wheel. Tighten the screws to 15 inch lbs. (2 Nm).
- Connect the air bag lead and push the secondary latch into place.
- Install the air bag module and tighten the screws to 85 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
- Arm the air bag system, as described in Chassis Electrical .
Sebring Coupe and Avenger
See Figures 10 and 11
- Disarm the air bag system, as described in