REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the wheel and tire.
- Remove the inner fender or splash shield.
- Beginning at the sensor end, carefully disconnect or release each clip and retainer along the sensor wire. Take careful note of the exact position of each clip; they must be reinstalled in the identical position. Rear wheel sensor harnesses will be held by plastic wire ties; these may be cut away but must be replaced at reassembly.
- Disconnect the sensor connector at the end of the harness.
- Remove the 2 bolts holding the speed sensor bracket to the knuckle and remove the assembly from the vehicle.
The speed sensor has a pole piece projecting from it. This exposed tip must be protected from impact or scratches. Do not allow the pole piece to contact the toothed wheel during removal or installation.
- Remove the sensor from the bracket.
- Assemble the sensor onto the bracket and tighten the bolt to 10 ft. lbs. (14 Nm). Note that the brackets are different for the left and right front wheels. Each bracket has identifying letters stamped on it.
- Temporarily install the speed sensor to the knuckle; tighten the bolts only finger-tight.
- Route the cable correctly and loosely install the clips and retainers. All clips must be in their original position and the sensor cable must not be twisted. Improper installation may cause cable damage and system failure.
The wiring in the harness is easily damaged by twisting and flexing. Use the white stripe on the outer insulation to keep the sensor harness properly placed.
- Use a brass or other non-magnetic feeler gauge to check the air gap between the tip of the pole piece and the toothed wheel. Correct gap is 0.012-0.035 in. (0.3-0.9mm). Tighten the 2 sensor bracket bolts to 10 ft. lbs. (14 Nm) with the sensor located so the gap is the same at several points on the toothed wheel. If the gap is incorrect, it is likely that the toothed wheel is worn or improperly installed.
- Tighten the screws and bolts for the cable retaining clips.
- Install the inner fender or splash shield.
- Install the wheel and tire. Lower the vehicle to the ground.