REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Remove the transmission or transaxle as outlined.
- Insert a pilot shaft or an old input shaft into the center of the clutch disc, pressure plate, and the pilot bearing in the crankshaft.
- With the pilot tool supporting the clutch disc, loosen the pressure plate bolts gradually and in a crisscross pattern.
- Remove the pressure plate and clutch disc.
- Clean the transmission and clutch housing. Clean the flywheel surface with a non-oil based solvent. Wash your hands before installing or handling the clutch assembly parts. Hold the clutch disc by the center hub only.
Before assembly, slide the clutch disc up and down on the transmission input shaft to check for any binding. Remove any rough spots with crocus cloth and then lightly coat the shaft with Lubriplate.
- To remove the throwout bearing assembly: Remove the return clip and take out the throwout bearing carrier and the bearing.
- To replace the throwout arm use a / 16 in. punch, knock out the throwout shaft spring pin and remove the shaft, springs, and the center lever.
- Do not immerse the throwout bearing in solvent; it is permanently lubricated. Blow and wipe it clean. Check the bearing for wear, deterioration, or burning. Replace the bearing if there is any question about its condition.
- Check the shafts, lever, and springs for wear and defects. Replace them if necessary.
- If you hadn't planned on replacing the clutch disc, examine it for the following before reusing it. Loose rivets. Burned facing. Oil or grease on the facing. Less than 0.3mm left between the rivet head and the top of the facing.
- Check the pressure plate and replace it if any of the following conditions exist: Scored or excessively worn. Bent or distorted diaphragm spring. Loose rivets.
- Insert the control lever into the clutch housing. Install the two return springs and the throwout shaft.
- Lock the shift lever to the shaft with the spring pin.
- Fill the shaft oil seal with multipurpose grease.
- Install the throwout bearing carrier and the bearing. Install the return clip.
- Grease the carrier groove and inner surface.
- Lightly grease the clutch disc splines.
The clutch is installed with the larger boss facing the transmission.
- Support the clutch disc and pressure plate with the pilot tool.
- Turn the pressure plate so that its balance mark aligns with the notch in the flywheel.
- Install the pressure plate-to-flywheel bolts head-tight. Using a torque wrench and, working in a crisscross pattern, tighten the bolts to 11-15 ft. lbs.
- Install the transmission or transaxle as outlined.
- Adjust the clutch as described in the following information.