Starter Won't Crank The Engine
- Dead battery.
Open starter circuit, such as:
- Broken or loose battery cables.
- Inoperative starter motor solenoid.
- Broken or loose wire from ignition switch to solenoid.
- Poor solenoid or starter ground.
- Bad ignition switch.
Defective starter internal circuit, such as:
- Dirty or burnt commutator.
- Stuck, worn or broken brushes.
- Open or shorted armature.
- Open or grounded fields.
Starter motor mechanical faults, such as:
- Jammed armature end bearings.
- Bad bearings, allowing armature to rub fields.
- Bent shaft.
- Broken starter housing.
- Bad starter drive mechanism.
- Bad starter drive or flywheel driven gear.
Engine hard or impossible to crank, such as:
- Hydrostatic lock, water in combustion chamber.
- Crankshaft seizing in bearings.
- Piston or ring seizing.
- Bent or broken connecting rod.
- Seizing of connecting rod bearings.
- Flywheel jammed or broken.
- Sticking or broken drive mechanism.
- Damaged ring gear.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the battery negative battery cable and the starter motor wiring. Remove the air cleaner assembly.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely.
- Remove the intake manifold-to-engine support bracket (Colt and Colt Wagon).
- Remove the 2 starter attaching bolts and remove the starter motor.
- Clean both surfaces of the starter motor flange and the rear plate.
- Position the starter in the housing opening.
- Install the manifold-to-engine support bracket (Colt and Colt Wagon).
- Install the attaching bolts. Torque to 25 ft. lbs. (34 Nm) evenly to avoid binding.
- Install the starter wiring and lower the vehicle.
- Connect the negative battery cable and check operation.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the starter motor.
- Disconnect the field coil wire from the terminal connector on the solenoid.
- Remove the mounting crews and the solenoid from the starter motor.
- Place the solenoid over the spring and into position on the starter motor. Secure the solenoid with the mounting screws. Connect the field coil wire to the solenoid terminal.
- Install the starter motor and connect the negative battery cable.