REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
The torsion bars that keep the trunk lid in the raised position are under strong twisted pressure. When disconnecting them for their mounting holes and/or notched brackets, they may spring out and cause bodily damage. Keep fingers and face out of the way.
- Scribe the hinge outline to the mounting panel. On some models it will be necessary to remove the rear package tray from in front of the rear window to gain access to the hinge mount.
- On models with a remote release, disconnect the cable if it runs on the inside of the trunk panel. If necessary for hinge removal, CAREFULLY remove the torsion bars from their mountings. Have a helper hold the trunk lid up so that it will not slam down when the torsion bar pressure is released.
- Remove the trunk hinge mounting bolts and the lid.
- Position the trunk lid and install the mounting bolts after aligning the scribe locator marks.
- Install the torsion bars, if disconnected, into their notches. Use a suitable tool to tension them while installing.
- The trunk lid hinges and lock striker are usually equipped with elongated holes to provide for adjustment.
- Loosen the bolts slightly until the panel can be shifted.
- Move the panel until even spacing around the edges is present. Tighten the mounting bolts and striker.