See Figure 1
A hypoid gear oil with an API classification of GL-4 or higher is required.
- With the car parked on a level surface, or raised and supported safely and level, remove the filler plug from the right front of the case.
- If lubricant begins to trickle out the hole, there is enough. Otherwise, carefully insert a finger (watch out for sharp threads) and check to see if the oil is up to the edge of the hole.
- If not, add lubricant through the hole to raise the level to the edge of the filler hole. Most gear lubricants come in a plastic squeeze bottle with a nozzle, making additions easy. You can also use a squeeze bulb. Add gear oil GL4, Hypoid gear oil.
- Replace the plug and check for leaks.
DRAIN AND REFILL
- Jack up the front the car and support it safely on stands.
- Slide a drain pan under the transaxle.
- Remove the filler plug and then the drain plug.
- When the oil has been completely drained, install the drain plug.
- Using the suction gun, refill the transmission/transaxle up to the level of the filler plug.
- Install and tighten the filler plug.