- Jack up the front and support the car on jackstands. There must be no weight on the front wheels.
- Apply downward and upward pressure to the wheel avoiding any compression to the spring. If excessive play is encountered between the control arm and the steering knuckle, the ball joint probably needs replacing.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 5Colt
The ball joint is not replaceable. The ball joint and lower control arm must be replaced as an assembly.Vista
This procedure requires a hydraulic press.
- See the Lower Control Arm procedure and disconnect the lower arm.
- Remove the ball joint dust cover.
- Using snapring pliers, remove the snapring from the ball joint.
- Using an adapter plate and driver, such as tool MB990800, press the ball joint from the arm.
- Install the ball joint, inverting the tool in the press for installation. Coat the lip and interior of the dust cover with lithium based chassis lube.