The Colt uses an electronic control unit to process information received from various sensors and switches to control the air conditioning compressor. The unit is located behind the glove box on top or on the front side of the evaporator housing. The function of the control unit is to send current to the dual pressure switch when the following conditions are met:
- The air conditioning switch is in either the ECONO or A/C mode.
- The refrigerant temperature sensor, if equipped, is reading 347°F (175°C) or less.
- The air thermo and air inlet sensors are both reading at least 39°F (4°C).
- Disconnect the control unit connector.
- Turn the ignition switch ON .
- Turn the air conditioning switch ON .
- Turn the temperature control lever too its coolest position.
- Turn the blower switch to its highest position.
- Follow the chart and probe the various terminals of the control unit connector under the the specified conditions. This will rule out all possible faulty components in the system.
- If all checks are satisfactory, replace the control unit. If not, check the faulty system or component.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the glove box and locate the control module.
- Disconnect the connector to the module and remove the mounting screws.
- Remove the module from the evaporator housing.
- The installation is the reverse of the removal installation.
- Connect the negative battery cable and check the entire climate control system for proper operation.