Colt uses a dual pressure switch, which is a combination of a low pressure cut off switch and high pressure cut off switch. These functions will stop operation of the compressor in the event of either high or low refrigerant charge, preventing damage to the system. The switch is located on the receiver drier.
The dual pressure switch is designed to cut off voltage to the compressor coil when the pressure either drops below 30 psi or rises above 384 psi.
- Check for continuity through the switch. Under all normal conditions, the switch should be continuous.
- If the switch is open, check for insufficient refrigerant charge or excessive pressures.
- If neither of the above conditions exist and the switch is open, replace the switch.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Properly discharge the air conditioning system.
- Remove the switch from the refrigerant line or receiver/drier.
- The installation is the reverse of the removal installation.
- Evacuate and recharge the air conditioning system.
- Connect the negative battery cable and check the entire climate control system for proper operation. Check the system for leaks.