See Figure 1
- Slacken the accelerator cable, connect a tachometer, set the ignition switch to the ON position and turn the ignition OFF .
- Disconnect the connectors from the idle speed control servo and lock the idle speed control plunger at the initial position.
- Back out the speed adjusting screw SAS enough.
- Start the engine and let idle. Check to see if the idle speed is 750 plus or minus 50 for the Colt and 700 plus or minus 100 for the Vista.
- If not within specifications, adjust the fixed SAS until the engine speed rises. Then back out the SAS until the engine speed does not fall any longer (touch point). Back out the SAS an additional half a turn from the touch point.
- Warm the engine to operating temperature, leave lights, electric cooling fan and accessories OFF . The transaxle should be in N or P for automatic transaxle. The steering wheel in a neutral position for vehicles with power steering.
- Insert the paper clip into the 1 terminal rpm connector in the engine compartment, and connect the primary voltage detection type tachometer to the paper clip.
- Ground the self-diagnostic control terminal of the diagnostic connector with a jumper wire.
- Remove the waterproof female connector from the ignition timing adjustment connector. Ground the ignition timing adjustment terminal.
- Start the engine and run at idle. Check the basic idle speed, the desired value is 650-850 rpm.
- If the value is not within specifications, turn the Speed Adjusting Screw (SAS) to make the necessary adjustment.
If the idle speed is higher than the standard value, inspect the SAS screw for evidence of movement. If there is evidence that the SAS screw has been adjusted, readjust to the proper setting. If the screw does not look as though it has been adjusted, it is possible that there is leakage as a result of deterioration of the Fast Idle Air Valve (FIAV), and, if so the throttle body should be replaced.
- Turn the ignition OFF . Disconnect and remove the jumper wires from the diagnosis control terminal and the ignition timing adjustment terminal.
- Start the engine and let run at idle speed for about 10 minutes, check to be sure that the idling condition is normal.