REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect negative battery cable.
- Remove the rear stabilizer bar.
- If equipped with 4WD, remove the rear axle shaft.
- Remove the rear brake drum.
- If equipped with ABS, remove the rear caliper assembly and brake disc.
- Remove the rear hub assembly. If equipped with ABS, take care not to damage the rotor teeth during hub removal.
- Disconnect the parking brake cable from the rear brake shoe.
- If equipped with ABS, disconnect and remove the rear wheel sensor.
The speed sensor has a pole piece projecting from it. This exposed tip must be protected from impact or scratches. Do not allow the pole piece to contact the toothed wheel during removal or installation.
- Remove the rear shock and coil spring.
- Remove the brake line and parking brake mounting bolts from the lower control arm.
- Matchmark and remove the inboard lower arm pivot bolt. Remove the flange bolt and the arm from the vehicle.
- Install the arm on the vehicle and secure with the flange bolt, temporarily tighten the nut. Install the arm pivot bolt and temporarily tighten the nut.
- Install the rear shock and coil spring.
- Install the brake line and parking brake mounting bolts to the lower control arm.
- Connect the parking brake cable to the rear brake shoe.
- Install the rear hub assembly.
- Install the rear brake drum or, if equipped with ABS, install the rear caliper assembly and brake disc.
- Install the rear axle shaft.
- Install and connect the rear wheel speed sensor. Use a brass or other non-magnetic feeler gauge to check the air gap between the tip of the pole piece and the toothed wheel. Correct gap is 0.012-0.035 in. (0.3-0.9mm). Tighten the 2 sensor bracket bolts to 10 ft. lbs. (14 Nm) with the sensor located so the gap is the same at several points on the toothed wheel. If the gap is incorrect, it is likely that the toothed wheel is worn or improperly installed.
- Lower the vehicle and tighten the lower arm flange bolt nut and the arm pivot bolt to 69 ft. lbs. (95 Nm).
- Install the rear stabilizer bar and reconnect the negative battery cable.
- Bleed the brake system if any lines where opened. Adjust the parking brake and perform a rear wheel alignment.