The neutral safety switch used in the 42LE automatic transaxle is called a Manual Valve Lever Position Sensor (MVLPS).
This sensor interprets the position of the manual valve inside the valve body. The information gathered is sent to the transaxle control module.
This sensor provides starting in P and N positions and also operates the back-up lamp circuit.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
The MVLPS connector extends outside the transaxle on the left side, next to the fill tube. The MVLPS is mounted on top of the valve body. The MVLPS and valve body must be removed from the transaxle assembly.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Unplug the MVLPS connector.
- Remove the transaxle pan. Refer to the transaxle oil pan instructions located in General Information & Maintenance
Remove the valve body assembly from the transaxle. As follows:
- Unplug the MVLPS wiring connector. The solenoid wiring connector can remain attached to the case.
- Disconnect the shift cable from the shift lever at the transaxle side.
- Move the shift lever clockwise past the L position.
- Remove the transaxle pan bolts and pan.
- Remove the oil filter from the valve body. It is held in place by 2 clips.
- Remove the valve body bolts and carefully remove the valve body assembly from the transaxle.
The valve body can be remove from the transaxle with the transaxle remaining in the vehicle. For clarity the illustrations shown are with the transaxle out of the vehicle.
- Remove the manual shaft retaining screw.
- Slide the MVLPS off of the manual valve shaft.
- Side the MVLPS on to the manual valve shaft.
- Install the retaining screw securing the MVLPS to the valve body.
- Prior to installing the valve body, make sure the accumulators are installed in the proper location.
- Carefully install the valve body and install the bolts. Snug the bolts evenly in a crisscross pattern.
- In a crisscross pattern, tighten the valve body bolts to 40 inch lbs. (5 Nm.)
- Install a new filter.
- When installing the oil pan be sure that the pan flange is clean and oil free. Apply a 1 / 8 inch bead of silicone sealer onto the oil pan.
- Install the oil pan and bolts. Snug the bolts evenly in a crisscross pattern.
- In a crisscross pattern, tighten the oil pan bolts to 165 inch lbs. (19 Nm).
- Engage the MVLPS connector.
- Connect the negative battery cable.