See Figures 1, 2 and 3
It is easier to service any part of the exhaust system if the entire exhaust (except the manifolds) is removed from the vehicle.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Apply penetrating oil all of the nuts and bolts that attach the system to the vehicle.
- Remove the front down pipes to the exhaust manifold nuts.
- Remove the front down pipes and transaxle intermediate support bracket bolts.
- Remove the rubber insulators from the welded exhaust system rod wire hangers.
- Maneuver the front down pipes past the engine, support cradle and transaxle. Lay the exhaust system down.
On the 3.3L flex fuel engine, you must install new exhaust manifold-to-converter flange gaskets.
- Install and loosely assemble the front pipes to the exhaust manifolds and the transaxle support bracket.
- Place the exhaust system onto thew two supports (one under the floor converter, one under the muffler). Slide the system forwards onto the front pipes until the front of the under floor converter inlet bushings are touching the positive stop tabs on the front pipes.
- Install the rubber insulators onto the body brackets.
- Visually inspect the isolators. They should be straight when you are looking from front-to-back of the vehicle. Working from the from of the system, align each component to maintain the position and proper clearance with the underbody parts.
- Orientate and tighten all of the clamps and supports to their proper specifications and clearances.
- Lower the vehicle.