REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10
The front strut and suspension of the vehicle is supported by coil springs positioned around the struts, contained between an upper seat, located just below the top strut mount and a lower spring seat on the strut lower housing.
Service of the coil spring requires the use of a coil spring compressor tool. It is required that 5 coils be captured within the jaws of the compressor tool.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the appropriate wheel(s).
- Remove the strut assembly from the vehicle.
- Securely mount the strut assembly into a vice. Using paint, mark the strut unit, lower spring isolator, spring and upper strut mount for indexing of the parts at assembly.
- Position the spring compressor tool, such as C-4838 or equivalent onto the strut. Compress the coil spring until all load is off the upper strut mount assembly.
- Install strut rod socket tool L-4558A on the strut shaft nut and a 10 mm socket on the end of the strut shaft to prevent it from turning. Remove the strut shaft nut.
- Remove the upper mount assembly, jounce bumper and seat bearing and dust shield as an assembly.
- Remove the coil spring and compressor as an assembly from the strut. Remove the lower spring isolator from the strut assembly lower spring seat.
- Inspect all components for abnormal wear, oil leakage or failure. Replace parts as required.
- Install the lower spring isolator on the strut unit. Install the compressed coil spring onto the strut assembly aligning the paint marks made during removal.
- Install the strut bearing into the bearing seat. Bearing must be installed into the seat with notches on the bearings facing down.
- Lower the seat bearing and dust shield onto the strut and spring assembly. Align the paint marks made during removal.
- Install jounce bumper and upper mount on the strut shaft aligning the paint marks.
- Install the strut mount-to-shaft retainer nut. Inspect all alignment marks made during removal and align as required. While holding the strut shaft from turning with a 10 mm socket, tighten the strut shaft nut to 70 ft. lbs. (94 Nm).
- Equally loosen the spring compressor tool until all tension is released. Remove the spring compressor tool.
- Install the strut assembly back into the vehicle.
- Install the wheels and lug nuts. Tighten the lug nuts, in sequence, to 95 ft. lbs. (129 Nm).
- Lower the vehicle. Connect the negative battery cable.