The lower ball joints on this vehicle are not serviced separately. The lower ball joints operate with no free-play. If defective, the entire lower control arm must be replaced.
- Raise the front of the vehicle using jack stands or a frame contact type hoist until the front suspension is in full rebound and the tires are not in contact with the ground
- Grasp the tire at the top and bottom and apply an in-and-out motion on the wheel and tire.
- While applying force to the tire, look for any movement between the lower ball joint and the lower control arm.
- If any movement is evident the lower ball joint is worn and the lower control arm requires replacement. Do not attempt any type of repair on the ball joint assembly.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Although the ball joint is not replaceable (except for replacing the entire lower control arm), the ball joint seal may be replaced. The control arm will have to be removed first. Mount the arm in a suitable press. Then use an inch and a quarter socket as a driver and press the replacement ball joint seal onto the ball joint housing until it is squarely seated against the top of the control arm.