REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
The rear suspension on LH platform vehicles is a fully independent suspension. A stabilizer bar (also called a sway bar) is mounted in rubber isolator bushings and connects the rear struts through links. Note that the fuel tank must be removed to remove the stabilizer bar.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Relieve the fuel system pressure.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove both rear wheels.
- Position a transmission jack under the fuel tank just forward of the crossmember to help support the fuel tank when crossmember is removed.
- Remove the four crossmember to frame rail attaching bolts. Remove the fuel tank.
- Remove the stabilizer bar to link assembly attaching nuts and remove the bar and isolator bushings as an assembly from the vehicle. Inspect the isolator bushings for damage or excessive wear and replace, if necessary.
- Inspect for broken or distorted retainers and bushings. If bushing replacement is required, replacement bushings can be installed by locating the split in the bushing, prying open and removing the defective bushing from around the stabilizer bar.
- Install the stabilizer bar and isolator bushings back into the vehicle as an assembly making sure bar is centered in vehicle so it doesn't contact other suspension components.
- Install stabilizer bar attaching link onto stabilizer bar. Install new link to bar attaching nuts and tighten to 70 ft. lbs. (95 Nm).
Replace the sway bar bracket bolt with new after loosening or removing them. Only use original equipment bolts as replacements.
- Install the fuel tank back onto the vehicle.
- Position the crossmember on frame rails and install four mounting bolts. Tighten attaching bolts to 70 ft. lbs. (95 Nm).
- Remove transmission jack from under the fuel tank.
- Install the rear wheels and lug nuts. Tighten the lug nuts, in a star pattern sequence, to 95-100 ft. lbs. (129-135 Nm).
- Lower the vehicle. Reconnect the negative battery cable.
- Pressurize the fuel system and check for leaks.
- Check and reset the rear wheel toe to specifications as required.