An air cleaner is used to keep airborne dirt and dust out of the air flowing through the engine. This material, if allowed to enter the engine, would form an abrasive compound in conjunction with the engine oil and drastically shorten engine life. For this reason, you should never run the engine without the air cleaner in place except for a very brief period if required for trouble diagnosis. You should also be sure to use the proper replacement part to avoid poor fit and consequent air leakage.
Proper maintenance is important since a clogged air filter will allow an ever decreasing amount of air to enter the engine and, therefore, will increasingly enrichen the fuel/air mixture, causing poor fuel economy, a drastic increase in emissions and even serious damage to the catalytic converter system.
Under ordinary driving conditions, replace the air cleaner filter element with a new one every 30,000 miles (48,000 km)-inspect it every 15,000 miles (24,000 km). Follow service procedures and replace as necessary. If you drive under severe conditions (stop-and-go driving in dusty conditions, extensive idling, frequent short trips, operating at sustained high speeds during hot weather above 90°F/32°C, police, taxi, limousine or commercial type operation, or trailer towing), inspect the filter may need to be replaced more often.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
The air cleaner attaches to the bracket on the right inner fender panel. An opening in the body panel connects the inlet duct to the ambient air.
Both the 3.3L and the 3.5L engines air induction systems use plastic attaching clamps. Do not use a screwdriver to open the clamp, this will damage the clamp locking teeth.
- Open and support the hood assembly.
- Separate the air hose leading to the air cleaner assembly from the unit.
- Remove the air cleaner lid attaching screws.
- Inspect and remove the air cleaner filter if replacement is necessary.
- Clean the inside of the air cleaner housing.
- Install a new air filter if necessary.
- Place the lid on the air cleaner housing assembly, then secure it with its clamps.
- Install the air hose leading to the unit.