REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8
- Position the front wheels in the straight ahead position, then turn the steering wheel clockwise (to the right) 180 degrees and lock the steering column with the ignition cylinder lock. This is to protect the air bag clock spring assembly.
Disarm the air bags as follows:
- Disconnect the negative battery cable and isolate the negative terminal end.
- Wait two minutes for the reserve capacitor to discharge before removing a non-deployed air bag module.
- Remove both speed control switches from the steering wheel. If not equipped with cruise control, pry off the covers on the side of the steering wheel.
- Remove the two bolts attaching the air bag module to the steering wheel.
- Lift the air bag module from the steering wheel and disconnect the air bag and horn electrical harness. Remove the module from the vehicle.
- Remove the steering wheel retainer nut. Use a steering wheel puller tool to remove the steering wheel from the steering shaft. While removing the steering wheel, be very careful feeding the wires carefully through the the holes in the clockspring armature. Do not hammer on steering wheel to remove.
Before installing the steering wheel, be sure that:
- The steering wheel is locked at a 180 degree turn to the right.
- The turn signal lever is in the neutral position.
- Align the master splines on the steering wheel and the steering shaft and install the steering wheel to the shaft. Ensure that the flats on the steering wheel hub align with the clockspring. Install wheel retainer nut and tighten to 45 ft. lbs. (61 Nm).
- Reconnect the horn wiring.
- Reconnect the electrical wires from the body harness to the air bag module and position module so it is at the center of the steering spokes. Install the two bolts attaching the air bag module to the steering wheel and tighten to 8 ft. lbs. (10 Nm). Be careful not to pinch any wires during installation.
- Reattach both harness connectors to the speed control switches and install to the steering wheel, if equipped. If not equipped with cruise control, install the covers on the side of the steering wheel.
- Reconnect the negative battery cable. Check operation of all components disturbed during this procedure.