REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the heat shield from the HCU.
- Disconnect the pump motor wiring from the HCU.
Double check that the ignition is in the OFF position before removing the 60-way connector from the Controller Anti-lock Brake (CAB) module.
Detach the 60-way connector from the CAB using the following:
- Lift the 60-way connector latch away from the 60-way connector, rotating the latch all the way back against the CAB. This will lift the CAB connector away from the CAB terminals
- Grasp the connector and rotate the rear of the connector up until it clears the pins on the CAB. Remove the CAB connector pin from the latch on the CAB.
- Remove the 4 chassis brake tubes from the inboard (engine) side of the HCU.
- Remove the 2 brake fluid lines coming from the master cylinder at the HCU.
- Remove the 3 nuts attaching the HCU mounting insulators to the HCU mounting bracket. The two nuts are located toward the dash panel and the 1 is at the front of the mounting bracket just above the power steering fluid reservoir.
- Remove the HCU from the mounting bracket.
- Remove the 2 CAB module-to-HCU assembly mounting bolts.
- Remove the CAB from the HCU by pulling it straight out of the CAB connector on the HCU, do not twist it.
- Install the CAB module by pushing it straight into the connector on the HCU until it is fully seated.
- Install the 2 CAB module-to-HCU attaching bolts. Tighten the bolts to 106 inch lbs. (12 Nm).
- Install the HCU back into its mounting bracket using the reverse sequence of removing it from the bracket. Securely tighten the 3 mounting isolator-to-bracket mounting nuts.
- Connect the 2 brake fluid tubes from the master cylinder onto the inlet ports of the HCU. Connect the 4 fluid output tubes to the ports of the HCU. Tighten all of the brake tube fitting nuts to 14 ft. lbs. (19 Nm).
Make sure the ignition switch is in the OFF position prior to connecting the 60-way CAB connector.
- Connect the 60-way harness to the CAB. Install the connector onto the CAB with the connector pins located in the latch first. Then rotate the rear of the connector down onto the CAB until it is fully seated on the top of the CAB connector.
- Connect the vehicles wiring harness onto the pump motor of the HCU.
Failure to install the heatshield on the HCU will result in failure of the CAB module due to high temperature.
- Install the heatshield onto the HCU.
- Install the heatshield back on the mounting bracket of the HCU.
- Bleed the air from the hydraulic system. When bleeding the system, visually inspect all the line fittings previously disconnected for any signs of leakage.