REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
The alternator on the 2.6 liter engine has an integral regulator; servicing is not possible. The voltage of all 1988-95 alternators is regulated by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). Servicing of the voltage regulators on these models is not possible. Other alternators on the 2.2L and 2.5L engines may incorporate a separate regulator.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disengage the engine wiring harness connector from the voltage regulator.
- Remove the mounting bolts and remove the regulator from the inner fender or from the fire wall, depending on the specific model.
- This regulator is not serviceable and must be replaced as a unit, if found to be defective.
- Position the voltage regulator in its original mounting position with the mounting bolt holes aligned.
- Install the mounting bolts and tighten until snug.
- Attach the engine wiring harness connector to the voltage regulator. Make certain that it is fully seated in the connector.
- Connect the negative battery cable.