REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Remove the fuel tank filler cap to relieve any built-up fuel tank pressure.
- Remove the throttle body, as described earlier in this section.
- Position the throttle body on a clean, flat work surface with the regulator facing up.
- Remove 2 of the fuel pressure regulator mounting screws that are opposite to each other.
- Obtain two 3 in. (76mm) long screws of the same thread size as those removed. Remove the screw heads from the 3 in. (76mm) long screws. Use these fabricated studs as alignment dowels for removing and installing the regulator.
- Install the fabricated dowels into the screw holes.
- Push the casing down and remove the remaining fuel pressure regulator mounting screws.
- Slowly lift off the casing.
- Remove, in this order, the casing, steel ball, top spring seat, large spring, diaphragm, small spring guide, and small spring.
The diaphragm has a top and bottom side. The top side has the wider spring seat while the bottom side has the narrower but taller spring seat. Do not install the diaphragm upside down.To install:
- Install the small spring over spring guide in the pressure regulator well of the throttle body.
- Install the small spring guide with the flat side facing the spring and the rounded side with the tab pointing up.
- Install the diaphragm (with the narrow/tall spring seat pointing down) over the alignment dowels.
- Install the large spring seat into the spring seat in the diaphragm.
- Install the top spring seat over the spring.
- Place the steel ball in the center of the top spring seat.
- Install the casing over the alignment studs, push down and install two of the hold-down screws. Tighten the screws until snug.
- Remove the two dowels/fabricated studs and install the two remaining hold-down screws.
- Install the throttle body, as described earlier in this section.
- Install the fuel tank filler cap.
- Check the fuel pressure and adjust, if necessary. Refer to the electric fuel pump instructions earlier in this section for the adjustment procedure.