REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
2.2 and 2.5L Except Premier Engines
See Figures 1 through 11
Special Tools C-4687, C-4687-1 (2.5L), C-4685, C-4679 (2.2L), C-4991 (2.5L), C-4680 (2.2L), L-4524, Thrust Bearing/Washer, a 5.9 in. (15cm) long bolt and C-4992 (2.5L), or their equivalents, will be necessary for this procedure.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the timing belt covers and timing belt, as described earlier in this section.
- Remove the crankshaft sprocket bolt, then use Special Tool C-4685, Insert and a 5.9 in. (15cm) long bolt to remove the crankshaft sprocket.
- Either use Special Tool C-4679 for the 2.2L engine, or C-4991 for the 2.5L engine, or their equivalents, to remove the crankshaft oil seal from the engine block, or remove the oil seal retainer. Remove the oil seal from the retainer.
- Unbolt and remove the camshaft and intermediate shaft sprockets. To hold the camshaft sprocket stationary while it is removed, use Special Tool C-4687 and, for 2.5L engines, Adapter Tool C-4687-1, or equivalents.
- If removed, apply liquid gasket to the oil seal retainer, then install it onto the engine block. Install the retaining bolts and tighten to 105 inch lbs. (12 Nm).
- To install a new crankshaft oil seal, first polish the crankshaft with 400 grit emery paper. If the seal has a steel case, lightly coat the outside diameter of the seal with Loctite® Stud N' Bearing Mount, or its equivalent. If the seal case is rubber coated, generously apply a soap and water solution to help facilitate installation.
- Install the seal with a seal driver. Use C-4680 on the 2.2L engine and C-4992 on the 2.5L engine, or their equivalents.
- Install the sprockets making sure that the timing marks are aligned as illustrated. Install the crankshaft sprocket using plate L-4524, Thrust Bearing/Washer and a 5.9 in. (15cm) long bolt. When installing the camshaft sprocket, make certain the arrows on the sprocket are in line with the No. 1 camshaft bearing cap-to-cylinder head line.
- The small hole in the camshaft sprocket must be at the top and in line with the vertical center line of the engine.
- Install the timing belt and timing belt covers, as described earlier in this section.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
Refer to the procedures under timing chain cover and oil seal removal and installation procedure and the auxiliary shaft procedures for the 2.6L engine, or to the timing chain removal and installation procedure for the 2.5L Premier engine. On all engines that use a timing chain rather than a timing belt assembly always replace the timing gears (sprockets) whenever replacing the timing chain.