REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 7
To perform this procedure a cover that will protect both the windshield and the two fenders is required, as well as an assistant.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- If applicable, unplug all electrical connectors on the hood, then remove the wiring harness from the hood.
On Premier vehicles, remove the under hood latch release mechanism.
- Remove the latch mechanism spring.
- Matchmark the position of the mechanism on the hood.
- Loosen and remove the mounting bolts.
- Scribe a mark around each hinge where it connects to the underside of the hood for reinstallation with a minimum of adjustment.
- Protect the windshield and fenders with a cover. Then, place blocks of wood behind the hood-between it and the windshield to protect the windshield in case the hood should slide to the rear.
- If applicable, remove the hood support pistons (Premier vehicles).
- While an assistant supports the hood, remove the hood bolts. With one person on either side, remove the hood from the car. If the hood is being replaced with a new one, transfer the latch striker and safety catch by removing the attaching bolts and reinstalling these components onto the new hood with them.
- To install the hood, first position it as precisely as possible-with the bolt holes of the upper hinge and the hood lined up. Then, with the assistant both supporting the front of the hood and keeping the assembly from sliding back toward the windshield, install the bolts until their heads are just a turn or two below the lower hinge surface.
- Shift the hood on both sides to align the matchmarks and hinges precisely. Tighten one bolt on either side gradually, checking that the hood remains in position and shifting it to maintain alignment (refer to the following service procedure) as necessary. Tighten one bolt on either side to hold the hood in position.
- Have the assistant hold the hood up as you tighten all the remaining bolts.
- Install the hood support pistons, if removed.
- On Premier vehicles, install the latch mechanism to the under side of the hood.
- Route the wiring harness into the hood and attach all electrical connectors.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the cover and blocks.
- Inspect the gap between the hood edges in relation to the cowl, fenders and grille panel. The desired clearance is 0.16 in. (4mm).
- If the hood requires adjustment, loosen the mounting bolts located on the underside of the hood (the hinge-to-hood attaching bolts).
- Shift the hood forward or rearward to change the dimension between the grille and cowl first, if necessary. Once this is correct, shift the hood right or left, as needed.
- Tighten all bolts evenly and tightly.