REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 8
- Disconnect the battery negative cable. For Acclaim, Spirit and some LeBaron models, isolate or remove fuse No. 2 prior to removing the switch or the wires may short to ground.
- Remove the cover bezel.
- If applicable, detach the ashtray's lamp socket.
- Remove the glove box assembly on the LeBaron, Spirit and Acclaim models, then reach through the glove box hole and detach the vacuum hoses.
- Remove the two control mounting screws.
- Slide the heater-A/C control rearward, then detach the cable and any electrical wiring from the control.
- Remove the unit from the dashboard.
- Install the control into the dashboard.
- Slide the heater-A/C control rearward, then connect the temperature cable and any electrical wiring to the control.
- Install the two control mounting screws and tighten until snug.
- On the LeBaron, Acclaim and Spirit models, reach through the glove box hole and plug the vacuum lines back in. Install the glove box.
- Connect the ashtray's lamp socket, if so equipped.
- Install the cover bezel.
- For Acclaim, Spirit and some LeBaron models, install fuse No. 2 after installing the switch. Connect the negative battery cable.
See Figures 9 through 16
This procedure is for the removal and installation of the heat-A/C control pod located to the right of the steering column. For the removal and installation of the Air Conditioning Module (ACM), refer to the air conditioning portion of this section.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the screws holding the instrument panel lower cover, then remove the cover.
- Remove the bolts that attach the instrument panel support rod and remove the rod.
- Pull the air duct out of the way.
- Remove the tie straps from the steering column wiring under the dashboard.
- Loosen the hold-down nut in the center of the steering column connector.
- Separate the steering column connector halves.
- Separate the heat-A/C pod connector from the steering column connector by placing a flat blade prytool between the connectors to disengage the locking tab. Push on the wire side of the heat-A/C pod connector and slide the connector out of the channels of the steering column connector.
- Remove the heat-A/C pod retaining screws.
- Remove the screw holding the lower column shroud in place.
- Separate and remove the lower column shroud.
- Gently pull the pod wires out through the housing to remove the pod. It may be necessary to remove the two screws on the side of the steering column to gain enough clearance to allow the connector to be removed.
- Route the heat-A/C module connector through the housing and along the underside of the steering column.
- Install the lower column shroud and secure in place with the retaining screws.
- Set the heat-A/C pod in place and secure with its retaining screws.
- Insert the heat-A/C wiring connector into the steering column connector. Push the connectors together until they are fully engaged.
- Plug the two halves of the steering column connector back together.
- Tighten the hold-down nut in the center of the steering column connector.
- Install new tie straps to hold the wiring under the dashboard in place.
- Install the air duct.
- Install the instrument panel support bar and tighten the retaining bolts until snug.
- Install the instrument panel lower cover and secure in place with the retaining screws.
- Connect the negative battery cable.