REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Reach under the instrument panel and depress the spring clip retaining the cable to the speedometer head.
- Pull the cable back and away from the head.
- If the core is broken, raise and support the vehicle and remove the cable retaining screw from the cable bracket.
- Carefully slide the cable out of the transaxle.
- Coat the new core sparingly with speedometer cable lubricant and insert it in the cable.
- Install the cable at the transaxle, lower the car and install the cable at the speedometer head.
The front wheel drive, 4-cylinder Chrysler, Dodge, Eagle and Plymouth vehicles from 1988 to 1995 do not utilize speedometer cables. These vehicles use a distance or vehicle speed sensor to measure the speed of the vehicle. This sensor is mounted on the transaxle near the flywheel. Refer to Driveability & Emission Controls for the vehicle speed sensor.