REMOVAL, INSTALLATION & ADJUSTMENT
This procedure only refers to vehicle equipped with rear disc brakes. The drum brake shoes do function also as the parking brake shoes, but the removal of the drum brake shoes is covered in the rear drum brake portion of this section.Except Premier
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
- Remove the caliper from the disc assembly. Refer to the necessary service procedures in this section.
- Remove the brake disc from the hub assembly. Refer to the necessary service procedures in this section.
- Remove the grease cap, cotter pin, lock nut, retaining nut and washer.
- Remove the hub and bearing assembly.
- Remove the forward hold down clip on brake shoes.
- Turn adjuster wheel until adjuster is at shortest length. Remove the adjuster assembly.
- Remove the upper shoe to shoe spring. Pull front shoe away from anchor and remove the front shoe and lower spring.
- Remove the rear hold-down clip and shoe.
- Install rear shoe and hold-down clip.
- Install the lower shoe to shoe spring. Pull forward shoe over anchor block until properly located on adapter.
- Install upper shoe to shoe spring. Install adjuster assembly (grease threads with suitable grease before installation) with star wheel forward.
- Install front hold-down clip.
- Adjust parking brake shoe diameter to 6.75 inch (171mm). Install hub assembly on the spindle.
- Install outer bearing, thrust washer and nut. Tighten wheel bearing adjusting nut to 20-261 inch lbs. (27-34 Nm) while rotating hub this seats the bearing.
- Back off adjusting nut 1 / 4 turn or 90° then tighten adjusting nut finger tight.
- Position locknut with a pair of slots in line with cotter pin. Install cotter pin, always use a NEW cotter pin upon installation.
- Install grease cap, brake disc, caliper and wheel/tire assemblies.
- Test the parking brake. The rear wheels should rotate freely without dragging when parking brake is released. To check operation, make sure the parking brake holds on an incline.