REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
It is necessary to use an assistant to perform this procedure without risking damage to areas of the body adjacent to the hatch. Masking tape and rope type sealer are also required. Use this service procedure as a guide for this repair.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- If applicable, unplug any electrical wiring from the components located in the hatch/liftgate. Remove the wiring harness from the hatch/liftgate. Remove the rear window washer hose, if equipped.
- Securely support the hatch in the wide-open position. Mark the outline of each hinge where it contacts the underside of the hatch.
- Apply masking tape to the underside of the door and the rear edge of the roof to prevent damage to these areas in case the hatch should slip or shift during removal.
- Remove the upper and lower lift prop mounting bolts and remove the lift props from both sides of the hatch.
- Have the assistant hold the hatch. Remove the two bolts on either side which fasten the hatch to the upper hinge halves and remove the hatch. If the hatch is to be re-used, unbolt and transfer the bumper, latch, and lock cylinder.
- To install the hatch, position it against the hinges with the holes in the hinges and those in the hatch precisely aligned. Have the assistant hold the hatch in position. Apply rope type sealer to the outer edges of the hinges where they will fit against the hatch.
- Install the hinge mounting bolts and tighten them alternately and evenly.
- Locate one of the lift props, having the assistant adjust the height of the hatch so hinge holes will align. Install the attaching bolts. Have the assistant hold the opposite side as you install the prop and bolts on the other side.
- Tighten all bolts evenly and to the correct torque value-refer to the torque specifications chart at the end of the section.
- Remove the masking tape installed to protect various areas of the car body.
- If equipped, route the wiring harness through the hatch/liftgate and attach the wiring to all applicable components. Install the rear window washer hose.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Loosen the liftgate or hatch hinges mounting bolts, and then adjust the liftgate or hatch by moving it so clearance is equal on all sides.
- Loosen the hatch or liftgate latch mounting bolts, then move the latch to adjust the contact between the latch and the striker.
- Once the hatch/liftgate is correctly aligned, tighten all mounting bolts.