REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
1988 Conventional Cluster
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Apply the parking brake and block the wheels. If the car has an automatic transaxle with column shift, put the gearshift lever in the "1'' position.
- Remove the 6 screws from the cluster bezel. Then, remove the bezel by snapping it off all 5 retaining clips.
- Remove the rear-facing screws from the instrument panel upper pad. Then, lift the rearward edge of the pad and, while holding it up, remove the 2 screws from the top of the cluster.
- Remove the 2 screws from the bottom of the cluster (these attach it to the dash panel). Lift the rear edge of the pad on top of the dash and hold it upward as you pull the cluster out far enough to reach the wiring.
- Unscrew the speedometer outer cable retaining collar, then pull the inner cable out of the rear of the speedometer. If necessary, mark the wiring connectors before disconnecting them.
- Remove the cluster.
- Position the cluster in front of the dash. Then, fasten the wiring connectors to their original locations. Insert the square end of the speedometer cable into the rear of the speedometer, turning it slightly to line it up, if necessary. Install and tighten the speedometer cable collar nut.
- Lift the rear edge of the dash pad and hold it upward as you slide the cluster back into position.
- Install the 4 cluster attaching screws (2 at the bottom and 2 at the top, under the pad). Install the rear-facing screws into the instrument panel upper pad.
- Install the bezel so all the retaining clips lock. Then, install the 6 bezel attaching screws. Return the gearshift lever to "Park'' and reconnect the battery cable.
1988 Electronic Cluster
The electronic cluster is removed in the same manner as the conventional cluster, except for that there is no speedometer cable. When replacing the electronic cluster, the odometer memory chip can be removed from the old cluster and placed in the new one. To remove the chip, special tool C4817 or equivalent must be used.
On some later models, the odometer memory is no longer retained in the cluster. This information is stored in the body computer.1989-95 Conventional and Electronic Cluster
EXCEPT LEBARON, ACCLAIM, SPIRIT, DAYTONA, PREMIER AND MONACO
See Figures 1 and 2
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the instrument cluster bezel. Cluster removal is not necessary if just removing gauges.
- When only removing gauge(s) or the speedometer, remove the trip odometer reset knob, if necessary, followed by the mask and lens assembly, then remove the desired gauge from the cluster. Disconnect the speedometer cable, if equipped, when removing the speedometer.
- If equipped with an automatic transaxle and column shift, remove the lower column cover and disconnect the gear indicator cable.
- Remove the screws attaching the cluster to the instrument panel.
- Pull the cluster out and disconnect all wiring harnesses and the speedometer cable, if equipped. Remove the cluster from the vehicle.
- Position the cluster and feed the gear indicator cable through its slot.
- Connect all wiring and install the speedometer cable to the speedometer, if removed; make sure the cable end is securely clicked in place.
- Install the cluster retaining screws. Connect the gearshift indicator cable.
- Install the cluster bezel.
- Connect the negative battery cable, check all gauges and the speedometer for proper operation. Make sure the gearshift indicator is properly aligned.
See Figures 3, 4 and 5
- Disconnect the battery negative cable to assure no airbag system diagnostic codes are stored.
- Remove the switch pod assembly.
- Unscrew the tilt column if so equipped.
- Remove the steering column trim cover.
- Remove the attaching screws on the cluster and pull the cluster rearward.
- Tilt the cluster to detach the wiring connections. Remove the cluster.
- Slide the cluster part way into its opening, then attach the electrical connections.
- Position the cluster so that the screw holes align, then install the retaining screws.
- Install the steering column trim cover.
- Screw the tilt column back in.
- Install the switch pod assembly.
- Connect the negative battery cable and check all gauges, switches and the speedometer for proper operation.
See Figures 6, 7 and 8
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the screws retaining the instrument cluster bezel and remove the bezel.
- Remove the cluster retaining screws and tilt the cluster forward. Disconnect the electrical connectors.
- If necessary, disconnect the speedometer cable.
- Remove the lower instrument panel cover and remove the cluster.
- Install the cluster and lower trim cover.
- Connect the electrical leads to the cluster.
- Install the instrument panel bezel.
- Connect the negative battery cable.