REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
CONVENTIONAL (GEAR TYPE) REGULATORS
See Figure 1
- Remove the trim panel as described in the appropriate procedure above. Raise the window until it is in the full up position. Then, securely prop the window in this position.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Then, detach the electric window motor electrical connector located about 11 in. (28cm) away from the motor in the wiring harness.
- Remove the 3 mounting screws which attach the motor gearbox to the window regulator. On most models, there are three holes in the inner panel to provide access to these screws. On the LeBaron coupe and convertible models, access can be gained through the opening in the inner panel, then reach around to the rear of the regulator to gain access to these screws.
- Remove the motor from the regulator by grabbing the motor housing and pulling it toward either the inner or outer panel.
- Rock or twist the motor as necessary to get it to disengage from the regulator.
- Position it onto the regulator, gaining access as during removal. Work the motor into a position that will ensure the motor gear engages the regulator sector teeth and the center post on the motor gearbox enters the pilot hole in the mounting plate. As the motor approaches its final position, rock it to ensure easy engagement of the gear teeth.
- Align the motor screw holes with those in the mounting plate. Install the 3 motor gearbox screws and the single tie-down bracket screw. Tighten them to 50-60 inch lbs. (6-7 Nm).
- Remove the blocking device. Attach the multi-prong connector and then the battery.
To perform this procedure, a center punch, a1/4in. (6mm) drill, and 7 size #8 (1/2-32) in. screws are required.
- Remove the trim panel as described in the appropriate procedure above. Then, the screw that attaches the flexible rack to the drive arm must be removed. Adjust the position of the window up and down until the position is right for access to this screw and then remove it. Securely prop the window in this position. If the motor will not operate on its own, try assisting it cautiously. If this fails, see the note below.
- Disconnect the battery. Disconnect the motor electrical connector.
- Remove the regulator/motor attaching rivets by knocking out the rivet center mandrels with a hammer and the center punch. Then, drill the rivets out with the 1 / 4 in. (6mm) drill.
- Start the motor end of the flex drive regulator out through the largest access hole in the door panel, maneuvering and rotating the unit out. Remove the screws attaching the motor to the flexible track.
If the motor will not move, it will be necessary follow Steps 2 and 3 to drill out the attaching rivets. Then, move the motor/flexible drive assembly as necessary to gain access to the screws mounting the motor to the flex drive. Manually lift the window upward until it is possible to access the screw that attaches the flexible rack to the drive arm and then remove it.
- Remove the 2 screws attaching the motor to the flex drive.
- Feed the top of the flexible drive track into the access hole and then rotate it toward the door pillar until the motor is horizontal. Then, rotate the assembly (about 1 / 4 turn) in the opposite direction to align the bracket tab with the slot in the inner door panel.
- Install the mounting screws and tighten them to 40 inch lbs. (4 Nm) in the sequence shown. Refer to the illustrations in this section.
- Connect the motor electrical connector. Reconnect the battery. Position the window drive so the flex rack fitting lines up with the window drive arm. Install the screw and tighten to 40 inch lbs. (4 Nm) Remove the window prop.
CABLE AND SLIDE TYPE REGULATORS
See Figure 2
This type of regulator is found on all 1991-95 New Yorker, Dynasty, Imperial and Fifth Ave. models.
The electric window motor cannot be replaced separately from the regulator assembly. If either the motor or regulator becomes defective, both components must be replaced together. For the removal and installation instructions, refer to the regulator and door glass procedure earlier in this section.
This procedure is the same for 1988-95 vehicles. Therefore, refer to the 1988-90 procedure, located earlier in this section, for this type of regulator.FLEX-DRIVE TYPE REGULATORS
See Figure 3
- Remove the regulator and motor, as described earlier in this section.
- Remove the electric motor attaching screws.
- Remove the motor from the flex-drive bracket.
- Position the new motor onto the flex-drive bracket.
- Install the attaching screws until snug.
- Install the regulator, flex-drive and new motor into the door. For more details, refer to the door glass and regulator installation procedure earlier in this section.