REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
1988 Dynasty and New Yorker With Passive Restraint System
- With the ignition switch ON , turn the wiper switch on until the wipers have run halfway across the windshield and then turn the switch OFF . Leave the ignition switch ON until the wipers are fully parked and then turn it OFF .
- Remove the wiper arms and blades as described previously.
- Remove the plastic screen from the top of the cowl.
- Remove the mounting bolts/nuts from the two pivot studs for the wiper arms.
- Remove the plastic cover for the wiper motor from the cowl. Detach the motor electrical connector. Remove the three motor mounting nuts.
- Push the pivots down into the plenum chamber behind the cowl. Then, pull the motor outward, past the point where it clears the mounting studs, and as far toward the driver's side of the car as it will go. At this point, pull the right pivot and link out through the opening, then shift the motor to the opposite side of the opening to remove it, the passenger's side link, and that side's pivot.
- Carefully clamp the motor bracket in a vise and remove the nut from the end of the motor shaft. Separate the linkage from the shaft. If the motor is to be reinstalled, be careful not to turn it out of the "park'' position.
- If the motor's position is disturbed or if installing a new motor that is obviously not in the "park'' position: Attach the wiring connector, turn ON the ignition switch, briefly turn on the wiper switch, then turn it back off. When the motor has reached the "park'' position, turn OFF the ignition switch.
- Connect the linkage to the motor with the crank by installing the crank so its D-shaped slot fits over the motor shaft. Install the attaching nut and tighten it to 95 inch lbs. (11 Nm).
- Maneuver the left pivot and its link into the chamber behind the cowl. Slide the assembly all the way to the left (toward the driver's side of the car) until the motor clears the mounting studs and the crank is positioned behind the sheet metal. Push the right pivot and link through the opening in the cowl, then maneuver the assembly to the right until the motor is lined up with the mounting studs and install it over those studs.
- Install the 3 motor mounting nuts and tighten to 55 inch lbs. (6 Nm).
- Position the pivots and install the pivot mounting bolts, torquing them to 55 inch lbs. (6 Nm). Connect the motor wiring connector.
- Install the plastic motor cover onto the cowl.
- Install the wiper arms and connect their washer hoses to the Tee connectors.
Premier and Monaco
- Remove the windshield wiper arm assemblies, as previously described.
- Remove the cowl screen hold-down bolts.
- Tighten the cowl screen locking screws 1 / 4 turn.
- Remove the left screen by sliding it toward the rear of the car, from underneath the weatherstripping.
- Remove the ball end of the link using a suitable fork under the link, lifting upward.
- Move the link to the right (a maximum of 90°), to make the nut visible.
- Hold the motor crank arm with one hand and remove the center shaft locknut and spacer with an open end wrench.
- Carefully remove the motor crank arm from the shaft and remove the depressed park link.
- Remove the 3 motor mounting bolts.
- Unplug the electrical connector.
- Remove the motor.
- Plug the electrical connector back together.
- Install the new motor to the bracket with the 3 bolts tightened to 7 ft. lbs. (10 Nm).
- Cycle the motor by activating the wiper switch inside the vehicle. Make sure that the switch is in the OFF position before turning the ignition OFF .
- Align the crank to the D on the motor shaft.
- Tighten the nut to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm).
- Place the other end of the depressed park link over the ball.
- Install the left screen by tucking it under the weatherstripping and securing it with all of the fasteners.
- Install the screen hold-down screws.
- Inspect the weatherstripping to ensure full engagement to the upper lip of the dash panel (firewall).
- Connect the center washer hoses to the hoses on the wiper arms.
- Push the wiper arms onto the shafts until they snap in place. Install the right wiper arm onto the shaft orienting it so that the tip of the blade is 0-2.5 in. (0-60mm) from the bottom of the windshield. Install the left wiper arm so that the positioning is 1.5-3.75 in. (35-95mm) above the grille.
1989-95 Models Except Premier and Monaco
See Figures 1 through 6
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- If the cowl top plastic cover must be removed to access the motor, first remove the wiper arm and blade assemblies, then and remove the cover.
- Remove the wiper motor cover and disconnect the motor wiring harness.
- Disconnect the linkage drive crank from the output shaft.
- Remove the motor mounting nuts, then remove the wiper motor and wiper linkage from the vehicle.
Do not rotate the motor output shaft from the park position.
- Assemble the linkage to the motor. Make sure that the crank fits over the D slot on the motor shaft. Tighten the mounting nut to 90-100 inch lbs. (10-11 Nm). Be sure the motor is still in the park position before assembling to the linkage; if it is not, temporarily connect the motor to the wiring and operate the switch to park the motor before assembling the linkage.
- Position the wiper motor and install the retaining nuts until snug.
- Attach the linkage drive crank to the motor crank arm.
- Plug the wiper motor wiring back together.
- Install the wiper motor cover.
- Install the wiper arms and plastic cowl if removed previously.
- Connect the negative battery cable and check the wiper motor for proper operation.