The clutch master cylinder, remote reservoir, slave cylinder and connecting lines are all serviced as a complete assembly. The cylinders and connecting lines are sealed units. They are prefilled with fluid from the factory and cannot be disassembled or serviced separately.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise the vehicle and support safely. On diesel models, remove the slave cylinder shield from the clutch housing.
- Remove the nuts attaching the slave cylinder to the bell housing.
- Remove the slave cylinder and clip from the housing.
- Lower the vehicle. On diesel models, disconnect the clutch pedal interlock switch wires.
- Remove the locating clip from the clutch master cylinder mounting bracket.
- Remove the retaining ring, flat washer and wave washer that attach the clutch master cylinder pushrod to the clutch pedal. Slide the pushrod off of the pedal pin. Inspect the bushing on the pedal pin and replace if it is excessively worn.
- Verify that the cap on the clutch master cylinder reservoir is tight so fluid will not spill during removal.
- Remove the screws attaching the reservoir and bracket, if equipped, to the dash panel and remove the reservoir.
- Pull the clutch master cylinder rubber seal from the dash panel.
- Rotate the clutch master cylinder counterclockwise 45 degrees to unlock it. Remove the cylinder from the dash panel.
- Remove the clutch master cylinder, remote reservoir, slave cylinder and connecting lines from the vehicle.
- Verify that the cap on the fluid reservoir is tight so fluid will not spill during installation.
- Position the components in the replacement kit in their places on the vehicle.
- Insert the master cylinder in the dash. Rotate clockwise 45 degrees to lock in place.
- Lubricate the rubber seal with a lubricant to ease installation. Seat the seal around the cylinder in the dash.
- Install the fluid reservoir and bracket, if equipped, to the dash panel.
- Install the master cylinder pushrod to the clutch pedal pin. Secure the rod with the wave washer, flat washer and retaining ring. Install the locating clip. Do not remove the plastic shipping stop from the pushrod until the slave cylinder has been installed.
- Raise the vehicle and support safely.
- Insert the slave cylinder pushrod through the opening and make sure the cap on the end of the pushrod is securely engaged in the release lever before tightening the attaching nuts. Torque the nuts to 22 ft. lbs. (2 Nm).
- Install slave cylinder cover, if equipped. Lower the vehicle. Remove the plastic shipping stop from the master cylinder pushrod. Connect clutch pedal interlock switch wires.
- Operate the clutch pedal a few times to verify proper system operation. The system will self-bleed any air in and vent through the reservoir.
- Connect the negative battery cable and road test the vehicle.