- Check the front plate mounting surface and flywheel housing for distortion.
- Using a straightedge, check the cylinder block mating surface. The mating surface must be flat within 0.003 in. (0.076mm). If distortion exceeds 0.008 in. (0.2mm), the block surface may be reground.
Do not grind more than necessary to make specifications.
- Measure the ID of the sleeve at three points: top (where stepped wear usually occurs), middle and bottom with an inside micrometer or a telescope gauge. Measurements should be both parallel to, and at right angles with, the crankshaft centerline at each point.
- The sleeve ID should be 3.6200-3.6213 in. (92.000-92.035mm). Allowable out-of-round is 0.003 in. (0.076mm) or less, and allowable taper is 0.002 in. (0.05mm) or less. If the ID deviates by more than the standard diameter of 0.047 in. (1.20mm), the sleeve must be replaced. If ID deviation is 0.009 in.-0.047 in. (0.25mm-1.20mm), the sleeve may be bored to an oversize of 0.009 in.-0.039 in. (0.25mm-1.00mm), in increments of 0.009 in. (0.25mm). Rebored sleeves must be honed to within 0.001 in. (0.035mm). Oversized pistons and rings must be used. If the ID deviates from the standard dimension by less than 0.009 in. (0.25mm), hone out the sleeve and replace the rings. If the sleeve wear is uneven, the amount of oversize is determined by maximum wear. If maximum uneven wear is 0.016 in. (0.4mm), the sleeve must be rebored to 0.039 in. (1.00mm) to ensure compliance with taper and out-of-round.
If one sleeve is rebored to a given oversize, all other sleeves must be rebored to the same oversize.
- Mount a portable boring bar on the top of the block.
- Align a boring bar with the center of the sleeve at the bottom where the eccentric wear is minimum.
- Bore the sleeve wall out to a thickness of 0.02 in. (0.5mm).
- Pull the sleeve with a puller.
Take great pains to avoid damage to the block!
- Check the bottom hole condition after the sleeve has been pulled. If damage or any defect is noted, the bottom hole must be rebored.
Bottom Hole Not Rebored
- Measure the inside diameter of the bottom hole and the outside diameter of the sleeve. Sleeve-to-bottom hole interference must be 0.003-0.006 in. (0.08-0.145mm) after installation.
- Press the sleeve into the block with a hydraulic press and sleeve installer. The sleeve is pressed in flush with the block surface.
- After installation, bore the sleeve and finish it to an ID of 3.620-3.623 in. (92.000-92.035mm) by honing.
- The standard bottom hole dimension is 3.738-3.739 in. (94.955-94.990mm). Select an oversize sleeve with an OD 0.02 in. (0.5mm) larger.
- Bore the bottom hole to 3.738-3.739 in. (95.455-95.490mm). This will ensure an interference fit of 0.003-0.006 in. (0.08-0.145mm).
- Press the sleeve in as described above.
- After the sleeves are installed, bore the sleeves and finish hone to an ID of 3.620-3.623 in. (92.000-92.035mm).