REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Straighten the locktabs and remove the six hub mounting bolts.
- Tap the hub gently with a mallet to remove.
- Separate the clutch assembly from the body assembly.
- Remove the snapring from the rear of the body assembly, using snapring pliers. Slip the axle shaft hub out of the body from the front.
- Remove the Allen screw from the inner side of the clutch, and remove the bronze dial assembly from the front side of the clutch housing assembly.
- Remove the clutch assembly from the rear of the housing, complete with the twelve roller pins.
- Coat the moving parts with a waterproof grease.
- Slide the axle shaft hub into the body from the front, and replace the snapring.
- Replace the bronze dial assembly and the inner clutch. Tighten the Allen screw and stake the edge of the screw with a center punch to prevent loosening.
- With the dial in the free position, rotate the outer clutch body into the inner assembly until it bottoms in the housing. Back it up to the nearest hole and install the roller pins.
- Position the hub and clutch assembly together with a new gasket in between.
- Position the hub assembly over the end of the axle, then replace the six hub mounting bolts and locktabs.
- Torque the bolts to 35 ft. lbs. (47 Nm) and bend the locktabs to anchor the bolts.
- Verify the operation by road testing.
See Figures 2 through 29
- Place hub in the lock position. Remove the Allen head mounting bolts and washers.
- Carefully remove the retainer, O-ring seal and knob. Separate knob from retainer.
- Remove large internal snapring. Slide retainer ring and cam from the hub.
- While pressing against the sleeve and ring assembly, remove the axle shaft snapring. Relieve pressure and remove the sleeve/ring, ring/bushing, and the spring/plate.
- Inspect all parts for wear, nicks and burrs. Replace all parts which appear questionable.
- Slide the plate and spring (large coils first) into wheel hub housing.
- Assemble the ring and bushing, along with the sleeve and bushing. Slide complete assembly into housing.
- Compress spring and install axle shaft snapring.
- Position cam and retainer in housing and install large internal snapring.
- Place small O-ring seal on knob, lubricate with waterproof grease and install in retainer at lock position.
- Place the large O-ring seal on retainer. Align the retainer and retainer ring, then install the washers and Allen head mounting screws.
- Check operation.
Dualmatic Front Locking Hubs
- Turn the knob to the ENGAGE position.
- Apply pressure to the face of the knob, then remove the 3 screws spaced 120° apart and nearest the flange.
- Pull outward and remove the knob from the mounting base.
- Remove the snapring from the axle shaft.
- Separate and remove the locking hub assembly from the rotor hub. Discard the gasket.
- Clean all parts in a safe solvent. Replace any damaged parts.
- Coat all parts with multi-purpose grease prior to assembly.
- Place a new gasket and the locking hub on the rotor.
- Install the capscrews and lockwasher, then torque them to 40 ft. lbs. (574 Nm).
- Install the snapring.
- Position the shift knob on the mounting base. Align the splines by pushing inward and turning it clockwise to lock it in position.
- Install and tighten the 3 screws.
Automatic Locking HubsREMOVAL AND DISASSEMBLY
- Remove the 5 Torx® screws securing the hub cover.
- Remove the cover.
- Remove the bearing race spring assembly.
- Remove the sealing ring.
- Remove the seal bridge retainer and bearing components.
- Squeeze together the tangs of the wire retainer with needle-nosed pliers and pull the remaining components of the locking hub from the wheel.
If the hub was locked when removed, you must first unlock it:
- Hold the hub outer ring.
- Rotate the drag sleeve in either direction.
- With the cover removed, turn the clutch gear until it drops, to engage the outer clutch housing.
- Remove the retaining ring holding the drag sleeve to the hub sleeve.
- Remove the spacer.
- Lift and tilt the drag sleeve and detent to free the brake band tangs from the rectangular opening in the inner cage.
- Remove the drag sleeve and detent, along with the brake band assembly, or brake band retainer.
- Remove the retaining ring from the outer clutch housing groove.
- Using a small prybar, carefully pry the plastic outer cage free from the inner cage, then remove the inner cage.
- Pry free all 5 lugs and remove the plastic outer cage from the outer clutch housing.
- Remove the clutch gear and hub sleeve assembly from the outer clutch housing.
- Compress the clutch gear return spring and remove the retaining ring from the clutch gear hub sleeve.
- Carefully release the spring tension, remove the spring support washer, return spring retainers and return spring from the hub sleeve.
- Remove the C-ring from the hub sleeve.
- Remove the clutch gear, spring and cam follower.
- Wash all parts in clean solvent.
- Check all parts for wear or damage and replace any problem parts.
- Examine the wire retaining ring for kinks, bends and diameter. Diameter range should be 0.088-0.094 in. (2.2-2.4mm).
The hubs should be lubricated every 24,000 miles (38,600 km), or, after being run in deep water.
- All parts except the bearing and race, brake band and drag sleeve, should be dipped in clean ATF+3 ATF prior to assembly.
- Pack the bearing race with Mopar 4293040 lubricant, or equivalent.
- Lubricate the brake band with 1.5 grams of the same lubricant.
ASSEMBLY AND INSTALLATION
- Snap the cam follower legs over the tooth gaps at the flat surfaces of the clutch gear.
Do not pry the legs of the cam apart.
- Compress and slide the conical spring into position between the cam follower and the clutch gear with the large diameter of the spring contacting the face of the clutch gear.
- Install the assembled cam follower, conical spring and clutch gear assembly onto the hub sleeve with the teeth of the cam follower near the step at the end of the hub sleeve.
- Position the C-ring between the clutch gear and the cam follower, then, snap it into place in the groove of the hub sleeve.
- Place a spring retainer at the end of the return spring, then position the spring and retainer over the clutch gear.
- Install a spring retainer and the spring support washer on the remaining end of the return spring. Compress the return spring, install the retainer ring into the groove at the end of the hub sleeve. Clamp the spring securely!
- Install the clutch gear and hub sleeve assembly into the outer clutch housing.
- Install 3 of the clutch screws into the outer face of the clutch housing.
- Position the plastic outer cage into the outer clutch housing, with the ramps of the plastic outer cage near the cam follower. Carefully work the outer cage into the outer clutch housing until the small external tabs of the plastic cage locate in the wide groove of the inner cage.
- Install the steel inner cage into the outer cage, aligning the lug of the outer cage with the rectangular opening in the inner cage.
- Install the retaining ring into the outer clutch housing groove to lock the outer cage in place.
- Position one of the two brake band tangs on each side of the outer cage lug located at the rectangular opening of the steel inner cage. It may be necessary to tilt the drag sleeve while engaging the the brake band tangs. With the brake band tangs engaged, the drag sleeve teeth will be meshed with the teeth of the cam follower.
- Remove the 3 recently installed screws from the clutch housing face.
- Install the spacer and retaining ring to secure the drag sleeve in position.
- Install the hub assembly on the axle.
- Position the wire retaining ring in the groove machined in the outer clutch housing surface with the retaining ring tangs pointed away from the splines.
- Hold the tangs together and assemble the seal bridge over the tangs, positioned in such a way that the bent-down tabs of the seal bridge clamp the wire tangs together.
- Install the O-ring in the outer clutch housing groove and over the seal bridge.
- Position the bearing over the inner race and lubricate it as described above. Install the bearing retaining clip in the inner race. The clip must be assembled on the bearing with the balls visible as shown in the accompanying illustration.
- Install the bearing and retainer assembly into the end of the hub sleeve. Install the seal ring over the outer clutch housing.
- Position the bearing race spring into the bore in the cover.
- Install the spring and cover assembly, install the 5 screws and torque them to 50 inch lbs. (5.6 Nm).
- The hub should turn freely.