REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise and support the front end on jackstands placed behind the springs.
- Matchmark and disconnect the driveshaft at the axle flange.
- On 1974 and later models, prop the brake pedal in the UP position.
- On 1985 and later models, disconnect the vacuum lines and wire at the axle.
- On the F-375, disconnect the steering arm at the left flange; on all other axles, disconnect the drag link at the knuckle.
- Disconnect the shock absorbers from the axle.
- Disconnect the sway bar.
- Disconnect the brake line at the tee on the axle on the F-375; at the frame connector on all other axles.
- Support the axle with a floor jack and remove the spring U-bolt nuts.
- Lower the axle.
- When installing the axle, lubricate all contact points with lithium grease, bleed the brakes, tighten the U-bolt nuts to 110 ft. lbs. (149 Nm); the shock absorbers to 55 ft. lbs. (74 Nm); the steering link to 60 ft. lbs. (81 Nm); the sway bar nuts to 200 ft. lbs. (271 Nm); the driveshaft nuts to 25 ft. lbs. (34 Nm).
On castellated nuts, never back off the nut to align the cotter pin holes. Always us new cotter pins.