REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Straighten the locktabs and remove the six hub mounting bolts.
- Tap the hub gently with a mallet to remove.
- Separate the clutch assembly from the body assembly.
- Remove the snapring from the rear of the body assembly, using snapring pliers. Slip the axle shaft hub out of the body from the front.
- Remove the Allen screw from the inner side of the clutch, and remove the bronze dial assembly from the front side of the clutch housing assembly.
- Remove the clutch assembly from the rear of the housing, complete with the twelve roller pins.
- Coat the moving parts with a waterproof grease.
- Slide the axle shaft hub into the body from the front, and replace the snapring.
- Replace the bronze dial assembly and the inner clutch. Tighten the Allen screw and stake the edge of the screw with a center punch to prevent loosening.
- With the dial it the free position, rotate the outer clutch body into the inner assembly until it bottoms in the housing. Back it up to the nearest hole and install the roller pins.
- Position the hub and clutch assembly together with a new gasket in between.
- Position the hub assembly over the end of the axle and replace the six hub mounting bolts and locktabs.
- Torque the bolts to 35 ft. lbs. (47 Nm) and bend the locktabs to anchor the bolts.
- Verify the operation by road testing.
See Figures 2 through 11
- Place the hub in the lock position. Remove the Allen head mounting bolts and washers.
- Carefully remove the retainer, O-ring seal and knob. Separate the knob from the retainer.
- Remove the large internal snapring. Slide the retainer ring and cam from the hub.
- While pressing against the sleeve and the ring assembly, remove the axle shaft snapring. Relieve the pressure, then remove the sleeve and ring, ring and bushing, spring and plate.
- Inspect all parts for wear, nicks and burrs. Replace all of the parts which appear questionable.
- Slide the plate and spring (large coils first) into the wheel hub housing.
- Assemble the ring and bushing, sleeve and bushing. Slide the complete assembly into the housing.
- Compress the spring, then install the axle shaft snapping.
- Position the cam and retainer in the housing, then install the large internal snapring.
- Place the small O-ring seal on the knob, lubricate with waterproof grease and install in the retainer at lock position.
- Place the large O-ring seal on the retainer. Align the retainer and the retainer ring, then install the washers and the Allen head mounting screws.
- Check operation.
Dualmatic Front Locking Hubs
See Figure 12
- Turn the knob to the ENGAGE position.
- Apply pressure to the face of the knob and remove the 3 screws spaced 120° apart and nearest the flange.
- Pull outward and remove the knob from the mounting base.
- Remove the snapring from the axle shaft.
- Separate and remove the locking hub assembly from the rotor hub. Discard the gasket.
- Clean all parts in a safe solvent. Replace any damaged parts.
- Coat all parts with multi-purpose grease prior to assembly.
- Place a new gasket and the locking hub on the rotor.
- Install the capscrews and lockwasher and torque them to 30-40 ft. lbs. (41-54 Nm).
- Install the snapring.
- Position the shift knob on the mounting base. Align the splines by pushing inward and turning it clockwise to lock it in position.
- Install and tighten the 3 shift knob retaining screws.