REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
The neutral safely switch is thread mounted into the transmission case. When the gearshift lever is placed in either the Park or Neutral position, a cam, which is attached to the transmission throttle lever inside the transmission, contacts the neutral safety switch and provides a ground to complete the starter solenoid circuit. The back-up light switch is incorporated into the neutral safety switch. The center terminal is for the neutral safety switch and the two outer terminals are for the back-up lights. There is no adjustment for the switch. If a malfunction occurs, the switch must be removed and replaced. To remove the switch:
- Disconnect the electrical leads and unscrew the switch. Use a drain pan to catch the transmission fluid.
- Using a new seal, install the new switch and torque it to 24 ft. lbs. (32.5 Nm).
- Pour four quarts of ATF+3®II fluid through the filler tube.
- Start the engine and idle it for at least 2 minutes.
- Set the parking brake and move the selector through each position, ending in Park.
- Add sufficient fluid to bring the lever to the FULL mark on the dipstick. The level should be checked in Park, with the engine idle at normal operating temperature.