REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
The switch is mounted on a bracket above the brake pedal and is contacted by the brake pedal arm.
- If applicable, remove the knee bolster for access to the brake light switch and pedal.
- Unplug the switch harness.
- Press and hold the brake pedal, then while keeping the pedal depressed, then install the switch in the bracket.
- Pull the switch rearward out of the mounting bracket and release the pedal.
See Figure 1
- Push and hold the brake pedal in the applied position.
- Push the switch forward until fully seated against the bracket.
- Release the brake pedal.
- Lightly pull the brake pedal rearward until the master cylinder pushrod bottoms against its internal stop. The switch plunger is now set at its proper clearance.
1989-93 Pick-Up and Ramcharger ModelsWITHOUT SPEED CONTROL
See Figure 2
- Loosen the switch-to-pedal bracket screw and slide the switch away from the pedal arm.
- Push the pedal down by hand and allow it to return on its own to the free-hanging position. Do not pull it back!
- Slide the switch towards the pedal until there is a gap of 0.140 in. (3.5mm) between the plunger and pedal arm.
The pedal must not move when measuring the gap.
- Tighten the switch screw to 82 inch lbs. (9 Nm). Recheck the gap.
See Figure 2
- Push the switch through the clip in the mounting bracket until it is seated against the bracket. The pedal will move forward slightly.
- Gently pull back on the pedal as far as it will go. The switch will ratchet backwards to the correct position.
1994-96 Pick-Up Models
This procedure calls for setting the switch prior to installation. Installation directions are included in this one procedure.
Preset the switch in the following manner:
- Pull the switch plunger all the way out until it is fully extended.
- Push the switch plunger inward 4 detent positions (clicks). This will provide the preset position for the switch installation. The plunger will extend approximately 0.55 in. (14mm) out of the housing at this setting.
- Connect the harness wires to the switch.
- Press and hold down the brake pedal.
- Install the switch. Align the tab with the notch, then insert the switch and turn clockwise about 30° to lock it in place.
- Release the brake pedal, then LIGHTLY pull the pedal fully rearward. The pedal will set the switch to the correct depth.