REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Remove the transmission. Remove transfer case, if equipped.
- Remove the clutch housing.
- Remove the clutch fork and release bearing assembly.
- Mark the clutch cover and flywheel, with a suitable tool or paint to assure correct reassembly.
- Remove the pressure plate retaining bolts, loosening them evenly so the clutch cover will not be distorted.
- Pull the pressure plate assembly clear of flywheel and, while the supporting pressure plate, slide the clutch disc from between flywheel and plate.
- Thoroughly clean all working surfaces of the flywheel and the pressure plate.
- Grease radius at back of bushing.
- Rotate clutch cover and pressure plate assembly for maximum clearance between flywheel and frame crossmember (if crossmember was not removed during clutch removal).
- Tilt top edge of clutch cover and pressure plate assembly back and move it up into the clutch housing. Support clutch cover and pressure plate assembly, then slide clutch disc into position.
- Position the clutch disc and the plate against the flywheel, then insert spare transmission main drive gear shaft or clutch installing tool through clutch disc hub and into main drive pilot bearing.
- Rotate clutch cover until the punch marks on cover and flywheel line up.
Bolt the pressure plate loosely to flywheel. Tighten the bolts a few turns at a time, in progression, until tight. Then tighten bolts to:
5 / 16 in. (8mm) bolts: 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm)
- Install transmission.
- Install frame crossmembers and insulator, tighten all bolts.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise the vehicle and support safely.
- Remove the transmission and transfer case, if equipped.
- Remove the inspection cover at the bottom of the bell housing.
- Rotating the engine with a flywheel turner, remove the clutch cover bolts gradually as they appear.
- Remove the clutch cover and disc by lowering it through the opening at the bottom of the housing.
- Sparingly apply anti-seize compound to the input shaft and clutch disc splines. Install a new release bearing.
- Raise the clutch cover and disc into place and use a suitable clutch aligning tool or spare input shaft to center the disc. Tighten all of the bolts finger tight.
- The cover bolts must be turned gradually, evenly and to the proper torque to avoid distorting the cover. Tighten the bolts to 21 ft. lbs. (28 Nm).
- Install the transmission and transfer case, if equipped.
- Install the inspection cover.
- Connect the negative battery cable and check the clutch for proper operation.