This sensor feeds information to the engine controller which operates and monitors the speed control system. The VSS is found on the extension housing on 2WD models or the transfer case on some 4WD models.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Unplug the electrical connector.
- On 1989-93 models, unscrew the speedometer cable (if equipped) from the sensor. Loosen the sensor nut and remove the sensor.
- On 1994-96 models, remove the sensor mounting bolt, pull the sensor straight out of the speedometer pinion gear adapter. Do not remove the gear adapter from the transmission.
On 1994-96 models, clean the inside of the pinion gear adapter. When mounted, make sure the sensor is fully seated before tightening the bolt.
- All models: Install the sensor, tighten the nut, plug in the electrical connector and connect the speedometer cable, if equipped.