REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
This procedure pertains only to diesel engines. These are the only engines covered in this information which operate by timing gears.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the fan drive assembly and belt.
- Remove the belt tensioner.
- Remove the oil fill tube and adaptor.
- Remove the crankshaft pulley.
- Remove all bolts that attach the cover to the gear housing.
- Gently pry the gear cover away from the housing and remove from the engine.
- Clean the gasket sealing surfaces.
- Lubricate the gear train with oil.
- Thoroughly clean and dry the seal area of the crankshaft.
- Install the front cover and a new gasket. Install the bolts finger-tight.
- Using the alignment/installation tool, align the cover to the crankshaft.
- Tighten the cover bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (24 Nm). Remove the tool.
- Install the oil fill tube and adapter.
- Install the crankshaft pulley, but do not tighten the bolts at this point.
- Install the fan, belt tensioner and belt.
- Tighten the crankshaft pulley bolts to 92 ft. lbs. (125 Nm).
- Connect the negative battery cable and check for leaks.