See Figure 1
- Remove the five Torx® screws securing the hub cover.
- Remove the cover.
- Remove the bearing race spring assembly.
- Remove the sealing ring.
- Remove the seal bridge retainer and bearing components.
- Squeeze together the tangs of the wire retainer with a needle-nosed pliers and pull the remaining components of the locking hub from the wheel.
If the hub was locked when removed, you must unlock it, as follows:
- Hold the hub outer ring.
- Rotate the drag sleeve in either direction.
- With the cover removed, turn the clutch gear until it drops, to engage the outer clutch housing.
- Remove the retaining ring holding the drag sleeve to the hub sleeve.
- Remove the spacer.
- Lift and tils the drag sleeve and detent to free the brake band tangs from the rectangular opening in the inner cage.
- Remove the drag sleeve and detent, and brake band assembly, or brake band retainer.
- Remove the retaining ring from the outer clutch housing groove.
- Using a small prybar, pry the plastic outer cage free from the inner cage and remove the inner cage.
- Pry free all five lugs and remove the plastic outer cage free from the inner cage and remove the inner cage.
- Remove the clutch gear and hub sleeve assembly from the outer clutch housing.
- Compress the clutch gear return spring and remove the retaining ring from the clutch gear hub sleeve.
- Carefully release the spring tension, remove the spring support washer, return spring retainers and return spring from the hub sleeve.
- Remove the C-ring from the hub sleeve.
- Remove the clutch gear, spring and cam follower.
- Wash all parts in clean solvent.
- Check all parts for wear or damage and replace any problem parts.
- Examine the wire retaining ring for kinks, bends and diameter. Diameter range should be 0.088-0.094 in. (2.235-2.39mm).
The hubs should be lubricated every 24,000 miles (38,640 km), or after being run in deep water.
- All parts except the bearing and race, brake band and drag sleeve, should be dipped in clean ATF+3 prior to assembly.
- Pack the bearing race with Mopar® No. 4293040 lubricant or equivalent.
- Lubricate the brake band with 0.05 oz. (1.5 grams) of the same lubricant.
ASSEMBLY & INSTALLATION
- Snap the cam follower legs over the tooth gaps at the flat surfaces of the clutch gear.
Do not pry the legs of the cam apart.
- Compress and slide the conical spring into position between the cam follower and the clutch gear having the large diameter of the spring contacting the face of the clutch gear.
- Install the assembled cam follower, conical spring and clutch gear assembly onto the hub sleeve having the teeth of the cam follower near the step at the end of the hub sleeve.
- Position the C-ring between the clutch gear and the cam follower, then snap it into place in the groove of the hub sleeve.
- Place a spring retainer at the end of the return spring and position the spring and retainer over the clutch gear.
- Install a spring retainer and the spring support washer on the remaining end of the return spring. Compress the return spring, install the retainer ring into the groove at the end of the hub sleeve. Clamp the spring securely!
- Install the clutch gear and hub sleeve assembly into the outer clutch housing.
- Install three of the clutch screws into the outer face of the clutch housing.
- Position the plastic outer cage into the outer clutch housing, having the ramps of the plastic outer cage near the cam follower. Carefully work the outer cage into the outer clutch housing until the small external tabs of the plastic cage locate in the wide groove of the inner cage.
- Install the steel inner cage into the outer cage, aligning the lug of the outer cage with the rectangular opening in the inner cage.
- Install the retaining ring into the outer clutch housing groove to lock the outer cage in place.
- Position one of the two brake band tangs on each side of the outer cage lug located at the rectangular opening of the steel inner cage. It may be necessary to tilt the drag sleeve while engaging the brake band tangs. With the brake brand tangs engaged, the drag sleeve teeth will be meshed with the teeth of the cam follower.
- Remove the three recently installed screws from the clutch housing face.
- Install the spacer and retaining rings to secure the drag sleeve in position.
- Install the hub assembly on the axle.
- Position the wire retaining ring in the grooved machined in the outer clutch housing surface with the retaining ring tangs pointed away from the splines.
- Hold the tangs together and assemble the seal bridge over the tangs, positioned in such a way that the bent-down tabs of the seal bridge clamp the wire tabs together.
- Install the O-ring in the outer clutch housing groove and over the seal bridge.
- Position the bearing over the inner race and lubricate it as described above. Install the bearing retaining clip in the inner race. The clip must be assembled on the bearing with the balls visible as shown in the accompanying illustration.
- Install the bearing and retainer assembly into the end of the hub sleeve. Install the sealing ring over the outer clutch housing.
- Position the bearing race spring into the bore in the cover.
- Install the spring and cover assembly, install the 5 screws, and tighten them to 50 inch lbs. (5.5 Nm).
- The hub should turn freely.