REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
The 1990-96 models use an electronic speedometer. A wiring harness extends from the speedometer to a distance sensor at the transmission, and an adapter and pinion in the transmission. A signal is sent from the distance sensor to the speedometer controlling the speedometer "needle'' reading.
1989 models may use a cable-driven system. Replace the cable as follows:
- Disconnect the negative battery ground cable.
- Disconnect the fusible link located under the hood.
- If equipped with a trip odometer, remove the reset knob. Remove the plastic pins fastening the lens to the instrument cluster assembly and remove the lens and mask.
- Remove the speedometer assembly mounting screws. Depress the tab on the plastic ferrule and disconnect the speedometer from the speedometer cable.
- Remove the cable core. Install the new cable core into the housing, making sure it seats fully.
- Place the speedometer in position after connecting the cable. Secure the assembly with the mounting screws. Install the mask, lens and trip odometer knob. Connect the fusible link and battery cable.