See Figure 1
The only manual transmission with adjustable gear shift linkage covered in this guide is the "Overdrive-4.'' The shift mechanism found on the other (later design) transmissions covered consists of a single unit, top mounted shift lever and internal mounted shift mechanism. Since the shift mechanism is internally mounted, no linkage adjustment is necessary.
- Place the floorshift lever in Neutral. Insert a 1 / 4 in. (6mm) drill bit through the bottom of the shifter to hold the levers in place.
- Detach the shift rods. Make sure that the three transmission levers are in their Neutral detents.
- Adjust the shift rods to make the length exactly right to fit into the transmission levers. Start with the 1st-2nd shift rod. It may be necessary to remove the clip at the shifter end of the rod to rotate this rod.
- Replace the washers and the clips.
- Remove the drill bit and check the shifting action.