REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Special seal removal/installing tools are required. Use Remover No. C-3985 and Installer No. C-3972, or their equivalents.
- Raise and support the vehicle.
- Place a drain pan under the end of the extension housing.
- Mark the position of the driveshaft and differential yoke for correct installation. Disconnect the driveshaft at the rear universal joint and carefully slide the shaft out of the transmission extension housing.
- Remove the extension housing seal with the special tool.
- Clean the end and inside of the extension housing. Start the new seal into position, with the installing tool, tap the seal into place.
- Check the condition of the driveshaft slip yoke. Clean and sand with a crocus cloth to remove any minor nicks and rust.
- Lubricate the lips of the seal and the slip yoke.
- Align and install the driveshaft taking care when guiding the slip yoke into the extension housing.
- Remove the drain pan. Check the transmission fluid level, add fluid if necessary. Lower the vehicle.