REMOVAL & INSTALLATION 1 / 4 and 8 1 / 4 In. Axles
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Raise the vehicle and support safely.
- Matchmark and remove the driveshaft.
- Remove the rear wheel and brake drums to prevent any drag.
- Using an inch lb. torque wrench, measure the pinion bearing preload. Read the torque while the handle of the wrench is moving through several complete revolutions.
- Using the proper tools, hold the companion flange and remove the drive pinion nut and washer.
- Remove the companion flange. Lower the rear of the vehicle to prevent fluid loss.
- Using a seal remover tool, remove the seal from the carrier and clean the seal seat.
- The outside diameter of the seal is pre-coated with a special sealer so no sealing compound is required for installing. The seal is properly installed when the flange contacts the housing flange face.