Wormshaft Preload Torque
See Figure 1
This procedure only applies to Pick-up and Ramcharger models so equipped.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle on jackstands.
- Remove the pitman arm from the pitman shaft.
- Remove the horn pad.
- Loosen the sector shaft adjusting screw locknut and back off the adjusting screw about 1 1 / 2 turns.
- Turn the steering wheel to the right stop and then back 1 / 2 turn. Measure the torque required to turn the steering while back to the straight-ahead position. The specification is 4-6 inch lbs. (0.45-0..7 Nm).
- If not within specifications, loosen the large adjustment cap locknut and turn the adjustment cap until the proper preload is reached. Turning the adjuster clockwise increases the preload torque.
- Tighten the locknut and recheck the preload.
- Tighten the sector shaft adjuster screw locknut.
Sector Shaft Adjustment
See Figure 2
- Perform the wormshaft preload procedure.
- Center the steering wheel.
- Loosen the sector shaft adjuster screw locknut and screw the adjuster screw all the way down. Tighten the locknut.
- Rotate the steering wheel 1 / 4 turn away from the overcenter position. Measure the torque required to rotate the wheel over the overcenter position. The specification is 14 inch lbs. (1.6 Nm).